Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Containing a Memory




These are my first three iterations of my memory container, but let me back up a little bit and tell you what my memory was.
My memory is of when my grandmother realized that she couldn't get outside and garden like she always has been able to. Her doctor recently had her put on oxygen so she can't get outside as much as she used to be able to because she has to stay hooked to an oxygen tank.
I realized after the first two iterations that I was only really portraying the "gardening" part of the memory, or the happy part, I guess you could say, and that is not what I wanted to do at all. The memory was not a happy one, and even though these first two iterations might be prettier to look at than the others, they weren't getting my point across. So in my next and third model, I made half of the circle a dull yellow. I researched colors online (reliable or not, who knows?) but I digress... Anyway dull yellow is supposed to evoke feelings of disappointment and it also represents sickness and decay, and as bad as it sounds it was exactly what I was looking for.

No comments: